Jun 15, 2013

[Movie] Man of Steel (Supermanning!)



I was waiting forever for this movie to be released, and I really didn't know why: I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but for some reason i Knew i really wanted to see this. And it wasn't until the credits rolled that I figured out why: it was produced by Chris Nolan, one of my favorite directors ever since i watched "Memento", and while he is not directing this feature, you can still tell his hand is involved in this, and I think that somehow I knew that, that's why I was really looking forward to watch this.

You can tell Nolan´s darker input on visual effects right from the beginning, as everything looks gritty and the whole atmosphere is eerily somber. Acting is on the part of Russell Crowe (as Jor-El) and Michael Shannon (as General Zod) is top-notch, and definitely balances the somewhat less than stelar performances of Superman himself (Henry Cavill) and his love interest, Lois Lane (Amy Adams). I'm not saying their acting was bad, it just felt uninspired most of the time, but like I said before, the movie had such great actors (including Kevin Costner), that this one factor was not so relevant to the entirety of the film.



Story-wise, this reboot of the Superman franchise does a really nice job of creating a new universe for this (and what I heard, other superhero characters) to live in, even though I felt the pacing was a bit clunky at parts (like Superman just happening to stumble on the Kryptonian spaceship for apparently no reason at all, and General Zod requesting Lois Lane to be taken on board their ship, also with no further explanation), but not enough to damage what is otherwise a very good and entertaining movie.



Apparently, a sequel is in the works, entitled "Superman Vs. Batman", which by its name alone should explain what the film is going to be about, so be on the lookout for that sometime in 2014, I definitely will!



Tags:
0 Comments
Disqus
Comments FB
Comments :

© 2015 Max Kroven's Reviews . All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks - Modified by Max Kroven